Print Page | Contact Us | Report Abuse | Sign In | Register
About FTGA

History

On December 16, 1952 a group of dedicated turfgrass professionals met in Miami to form the Florida Turf Association (FTA). The group was comprised of representatives from golf courses, lawn maintenance businesses, cemeteries, sod production, sports fields, research institutions, and other turf interests around the state of Florida. Jon Konwinski was elected the first president. In May of 1953, 24 turfgrass professionals met in Orlando where they appointed committees and planned the first Annual University of Florida Turf Management Conference, co-sponsored by the FTA, and chaired by Dr. Gene Nutter.

Over the next few years, the FTA, which evolved into the Florida Turfgrass Association (FTGA), contributed a great deal to the turfgrass industry. They executed numerous research studies, developed a Scholarship & Research fund, created a bimonthly publication, established an extension turf position at the University of Florida, and created their own Conference and Trade Show. With the help of many dedicated individuals, the Florida Turfgrass Association has persevered throughout the years. Today, in the 21st Century, the FTGA continues to advocate for and promote the turfgrass industry with extensive research, continuing education, and opportunities for turfgrass professionals to network with their colleagues. The future of the FTGA is in the hands of its members. It is the support and participation of its members that helps the FTGA in its ongoing commitment to build and serve a network of turfgrass professionals.